Saturday, September 6, 2008

Speaker for the Dead

I finished reading Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card two days ago (I think). It probably isn't as high on the list of great books in my head as Ender's Game, but it was still brilliant! Right now, I still think Card is a genius! Even though I read somewhere that he wanted to cast Dakota Fanning as Petra for the Ender's Game movie. o_O Ahem, anyway...
Well, the book's impression on me wasn't as strong as Ender's Game, but I think that's because this book had a different aura from Ender's Game to begin with. Here we meet Ender, all grown up, Speaker for the Dead, wandering from planet to planet. He really grew up. He changed a lot. He's so different from the kid Ender in the book I held onto for comfort so many times. He's still the same in some ways, I guess. But, I read Ender's Game so many times that the Ender there has become a friend, in a way. So, I guess I just miss that kid. :D
I already read Beginnings in Ender's Universe before this, so I already met Jane there. I really like that character! She's so funny. ^___^
Well, I'm really bad at talking about books, so I guess I'll just share a couple of quotes~
~~

Pipo shrugged. "So? Sometime or other everybody wishes everybody would go away. Sometimes I'll wish you would go away. What I'm telling you now is that even at those times, even if I tell you to go away, you don't have to go away. It was the most bafflingly perfect thing that anyone had ever said to her. "That's crazy."
~~

Maybe she [Ela] couldn't know who she was today. Maybe it was enough to know that she was no longer who she was before.
~~

I really liked this one 'cuz a few hours before I read it, I was thinking something similar. ^_^

Ouanda: "In YOUR judgment." Ender: "I have no one else's judgment to use."
~~

"...And that's as sure as we ever are of anything. We believe it enough to act as though it's true. When we're that sure, we call it knowledge. We bet our lives on it."
-Ender Wiggins-
~~

And just 'cuz I really like Jane~

"Twisted and perverse are the ways of then human mind. Pinocchio was such a dolt to try to become a real boy. He was much better off with a wooden head."
-Jane-
~~

I'm kinda' sad that Ender and Jane had to lose each other like that. I mean, okay, Jane's a computer... But really... She was JANE. Ender's computer. Ender's friend. Ender's constant companion. Ender's source of instant sardonic humor!
Oh well~

***
Disclaimer(s), etc:
1. I don't claim what isn't mine as my own.
2. New Disclaimer, wow.



No comments:

 
ss_blog_claim=7a7b0573bd2df00cfa092c8733847f97